Inferno Coaches Rules of Conduct
- Our FIRST responsibility is to the health, safety, and well-being of the players.
- A Coach must be a leader. All Coaches must recognize that they hold an important position and responsibility in a program that deals with a sensitive and formative period of a young girl’s development. He/she must have understanding, patience, and the capacity to work with all young girls.
- Inferno Coaches must be aware that the attainment of exceptional athletic skills or the winning of games and tournament championships are of secondary importance to the Inferno organization. The teaching of character, good sportsmanship, teamwork, honesty, loyalty, and respect of others is of primary importance within Inferno.
- The selection of the Head Coach is the jurisdiction of the Inferno organization and its Board of Directors. The VP of Coaching Coordination oversees the selection process, which includes, but is not limited to: 1) Application, 2) Background check, 3) Reference check, and 4) Interview. All Head Coaches will be selected by a majority vote of the Board of Directors for admittance as a Head Coach.
- The Head Coach will have the ability to select his/her Assistant Coaches. Assistant Coaches will also be required to complete an Application, Background check, and Reference check. They must also abide by the Coaches Rules of Conduct.
- The Head Coach will oversee the Assistant Coach selection process and will work through the VP of Coaching Coordination to provide completed materials. The Inferno Board reserves the right to dismiss an Assistant Coach should they not meet these requirements.
- All Coaches will conduct themselves in a sportsmanlike manner. The Head Coach will take responsibility for the actions of themselves, Assistant Coaches, players, and parents at any function that represents the Inferno organization (practices, double headers, tournaments, team activities, fundraising events, etc.). Coaches must demonstrate that they have an appreciation of the philosophy of youth softball and cooperate with the Inferno Board of Directors and others in making the program of mutual benefit to all children.
- All Coaches will read and follow the rules of the sanctioning softball organization (USSSA, NSA, ASA, etc.) along with rules adopted or added by the Inferno organization.
- Calls of an umpire can be questioned for clarification only, but must be handled with respect and in accord with the rules of the sanctioning softball organization. Once the final call has been made, it is final and will be respected (even if it is a poor judgment). The Head Coach must show by example that they respect the judgment and position of authority of the umpire and at the same time instill in their players a respect for authority of adult leaders in the league.
- If there is reasonable doubt that any umpire’s decision might be in conflict with the rules, the Head coach may appeal the decision and ask that a correct ruling be made. Such appeal shall be made only to the umpire who made the protested decision.
- The Head coach must know the playing rules set for the girl’s fastpitch travel leagues and be able to interpret them correctly. The Head Coach must make every possible effort to correct any violation of the rules before they occur to prevent a protest situation.
- The Head Coach must exercise a leadership role, but at the same time leave the game in the hands of the players. The Head Coach should try to provide an opportunity for every player to take part in games, but must stay within the rules of the sanctioning softball organization and Inferno organization rules.
- The Head Coach and Assistant Coaches will encourage players at every opportunity.
- The Head Coach and Assistant Coaches will be prepared to handle first aid situations as well as medical emergencies at all practices and games, both home and away. Training will be provided by the Inferno organization through both Internet resources and personal trainers.
- The Head Coach is responsible for the budget of their team. All funds will be used to support the team and any left over funds will be distributed based on the by-laws of the Inferno organization. Any deficits will be the responsibility of the Head Coach and team to pay; this will not be a responsibility of the Inferno organization (NOTE: In some cases funds may be available to aid a team, but the Head Coach should not assume its availability.).
- No profanity or misconduct (i.e. fighting, throwing equipment, outbursts of anger, etc.) is permitted at any event sponsored by the Inferno Organization.
- Use of alcohol, drugs, and/or any tobacco by coaches at any practices or games will not be permitted nor tolerated.
Inferno Coaches Pledge
- I will do my best to provide a safe playing environment for my players.
- I will do my best to organize practices that are fun and challenging for my players.
- I will place the emotional and physical well-being of my players ahead of any personal desire to win.
- I will treat each player as an individual, remembering the large range of emotional and physical development they might be experiencing.
- I will treat everyone (players, parents, umpires, and other coaches) with respect.
- I will strive to show up to practices on time and to leave no player alone at the end of practice.
- I will lead by example in demonstrating fair play and positive support for and to all players, opposing managers, coaches and officials at every game.
- I will express to my parents and spectators a desire for good sportsmanship to ensure a positive and enjoyable experience for all the players.
- I will not permit bench cheering to include personal and/or malicious remarks against other players, teams, coaches, or officials.
- I will refrain from public criticism of the officiating or opposing manager/coaches.
- I will provide a sports environment for my team that is free of drugs, tobacco, and alcohol, and I, as a Head Coach/Assistant Coach, will refrain from their use while on ballpark grounds.
- I will refrain from the use of profanities, threatening and/or abusive language and will avoid any hostile or angry behavior at all times while on the ballpark grounds.
- I will remember that I am a youth sports coach, and that the game is for the players and not the adults.
- I will conduct the management of my assigned team according to all Inferno and sanctioning softball organization rules.
- I will take proper care of any organization equipment and to treat school/county/tournament facilities (dugouts, fences, restrooms, etc…) with respect.
- I pledge myself to read, understand, know and practice the Inferno Coaches Pledge.
COACHING APPLICANT INFORMATION
Thank you for your interest in coaching for Loudoun Inferno. Please click on the link below to download our Coaching Application & Information Packet. Please read through and fill out the appropriate information. Please contact Frank Doering at firstname.lastname@example.org to set an interview time. We look forward to getting to know you.